Nowadays, it is crucial for public modes of transport to have security cameras installed due to the fact that lots of people gather there. Crowded public places such as train and subway stations are oftentimes seen as common targets of terrorist acts and other unpleasant crimes, and so having security personnel, security cameras and surveillance systems in place are necessary to help make the civilians feel safe and secure. Additionally, security cameras and surveillance systems in train and subway stations can help solve incidents of crime and even prevent potential accidents that may occur.
Below are some of the most common benefits on using security cameras and surveillance systems in train and subway stations:
Protection of passengers – It is very important for passengers to feel absolutely safe while riding a train and also while at subway stations. Those people who are daily commuters normally ride the train or use the subway in order to get to their destinations. For them, it is very crucial that they feel perfectly safe and secure while going in and out of the train and subway stations. Security cameras that are being installed and seen by the public can provide a sense of safety and security for everyone that uses the train and subway stations.
Fight against terrorism – It is the norm that public means of transportation are known to be high-risk targets for terrorism. Security cameras that are placed inside trains and at subway stations can tremendously help in the fight against such terrorist acts, and these also are effective when it comes to spotting possible terrorist schemes before they can even happen.
Assist in crime investigation – Video footage that has been caught by the security cameras can prove to be very useful in the investigation of events wherein a crime or terrorist scheme has been carried out. By means of studying and analyzing recorded video footage, security personnel can identify the suspects and determine which steps must be done in order to prevent such terrible crimes from occurring in the future.
Constantly monitor unsafe areas – Several train and subway stations typically have areas or sections that can prove to be dangerous such as platform gaps and other public areas where the train normally passes by. Security cameras that are installed specifically to monitor these unsafe areas can help in the prevention of accidents and injuries.
Digital storage – With the use of a digital surveillance system, captured footages are stored digitally rather than on bulky analog cassette tapes. This makes it easier to scour archived videos when looking for evidence of specific incidents.
Remote access – IP surveillance systems makes it possible to monitor remotely from any computer with a network access and a reliable Internet connection.
Smart camera functionality – Intelligent IP cameras typically feature built-in video analytics such as facial and behavioral recognition. When installed in a train or subway station, these security cameras can help in identifying potential threats and even pinpoint suspicious activity such as objects that are left unattended and people who intentionally or accidentally step into the train tracks.
Prevent graffiti – Subway stations have vast walls, and this one simple fact is enough to attract graffiti artists into doing their thing. For some graffiti artists, train cars and tunnel walls provide the ultimate canvas for their masterpiece. When security cameras spot this kind of activity, security personnel can be quickly notified and sent out to stop these graffiti artists from destroying the walls with their drawings. Cleaning up graffiti is certainly a very laborious and expensive task, and so security cameras and surveillance systems help in minimizing the frequency of this kind of activity.
Below are some of the most common possible risks on using security cameras and surveillance systems in train and subway stations:
Becoming over reliant – Security cameras are indeed very helpful devices. However, people must not rely on them too much. Video surveillance can considerably improve the level of safety and security in train and subway stations, but still, the physical presence of security personnel is absolutely crucial and must not be overlooked.
Vandalism – At times when a security camera is damaged or tampered with, the signal could be lost. It is vital that other security measures are implemented in cases when some security cameras are tampered with or destroyed by vandals.
Before installing security cameras and a surveillance system in a train or subway station, there are some things that one needs to consider.
- What other types of security systems does the train or subway station currently have?
- Are there areas of the train or subway station that are prone to accidents?
- Is there a history of events that involve injuries or casualties on the train tracks?
- Are there warning signs that are posted for everyone to easily see around dangerous areas?
- Is the train or subway station appropriately staffed with security personnel and patrolled by police officers?
- Does the station have cashier areas where money can be exchanged?
- Is graffiti a problem at the train or subway station?
- How early or how late does the train run each day?
- Is the train or subway station in a safe and secure neighborhood?
- Is there a history of violent incidents or criminal acts in or around the train or subway station?
Setup Advice on Security Cameras and Surveillance Systems for Train and Subway Stations
Below are some basic setup advices for those who are planning to install or upgrade security cameras and surveillance systems in train and subway stations:
- Install security cameras at every station entrance and exit points in order to obtain clear images of those who enter and leave the train and subway premises.
- Be vigilant in watching areas where money is exchanged, such as card machines and ticket windows.
- Utilize security cameras in order to monitor high-risk areas by the train tracks, such as boarding areas and sections where open gaps are present.
- Constantly monitor hallways and stairwells for any suspicious activity.
- Consider using security cameras that have video analytics such as behavioral or and facial recognition as it can help tremendously in identifying known criminals as well as any suspicious activity as it occurs.