Never had your own surveillance system and you would like to purchase one right away? Maybe you are considering buying your very own security cameras and surveillance system kit these days. These nifty devices are normally bought for the purpose of keeping everyone (you want to protect, such as your loved ones) and everything (you own, such as your property) absolutely safe and secure.
Before doing so, you might like to look into some commonly asked questions about security cameras and surveillance systems:
How do you choose a security camera for the purpose of enhancing safety and security?
Nowadays, there are many different models and brands of security cameras available in the market. How do you know which one is the most suitable for you and your needs? Security cameras may either come with or without audio capability functions. Ensure that you select the right one that suits your needs. Security cameras can come in different kinds such as:
- Board camera – It is a little PC board with a built-in mini camera. It is great for hiding it inside many objects.
- Dome camera – A mini camera that is built inside a dome-shaped plastic protector. It can perfectly blend on walls or ceilings.
- Standard security camera – A security camera that can either be installed outdoors or indoors, and it is installed in such a way that everyone can easily see it. It is meant to deter potential intruders or criminals.
- Pinhole camera – There are some pinhole cameras that can be as small as a sugar cube with a lens opening of about 1 mm. It can be conveniently hidden behind any hole that is larger than 1 mm.
- Water-resistant security camera – These are standard security cameras that are built with a water-resistance protective case. It is greatly suitable for outdoor use.
- Water-proof hidden security cameras – These are either a small pinhole or a mini camera that comes with a waterproof case so that they can be put under water, for instance, inside a fish tank.
What does camera resolution mean?
Resolution is the measurement unit of the clarity of a security camera. A security camera’s resolution is determined by the number of horizontal video lines (320-600 lines) that the camera needs so that it can reproduce the desired image. The higher the resolution number, then the sharper the appearance of the image will be.
Should I buy a color or a black-and-white security camera?
If you intend to install a security camera in a place where the intensity of light is very low or minimal, it is highly recommended that you should buy a B/W or black-and-white security camera. If a color security camera is utilized at places where the light condition is very low, then the potential video that will be captured will be very well near a black-and-white security camera anyway. Buy a color security camera for a much better view only if the area has always a light condition that is somewhat fair.
Do I need to install a night vision projector?
The night vision projector is generally a device that sends out invisible infrared light in order to compensate the light for the security camera. Generally, the light requirement for the black-and-white camera is very low. A little bit of light originating from a dim light bulb or a corridor lamp is actually already sufficient. If you would like to capture images or video footages from an area where the light present is very dim or there is no light present at all, then you have to install an infrared night vision projector, or maybe a security camera with infrared lights built into it. If a color security camera is utilized under low-light conditions (even if there is an infrared night vision device embedded into it), the video captured will still be in black and white only. Do take note that infrared night vision projectors typically only work with black-and-white video security cameras, not with color video security cameras.
What should I buy – a wired security camera or a wireless one?
Nowadays, most people prefer buying wireless security cameras mainly because of their many advantages over the wired ones. However, you also need to be aware of the fact that there are also disadvantages when using wireless security cameras. Fortunately, there are ways on how to overcome their specific disadvantages so that you can still enjoy having these wireless security camera units.
The advantages of having a wireless camera are:
- The installation process is easy to do and it can be installed just about in any location you want, even where wiring is difficult.
- It can be easily hidden inside any moving object such as inside your cap, briefcase, clothes, or purse, etc.
- It can be easily moved to different locations anytime and as often as you like.
The disadvantages of having a wireless security camera are:
- The audio/video transmission is limited within the prearranged transmission range.
- The video stream may be influenced or disturbed by other mobile objects or other strong radio frequencies.
Keep in mind that these disadvantages will not occur when using a wired security camera.
In order to overcome the disadvantages of using a wireless security camera:
- You may purchase wireless security camera units that operate with a less commonly used frequency band.
- If the distance between the wireless security camera and the receiver is quite far apart, or there may be walls, steel or metallic obstructions along the transmission path, you need to buy a wireless security camera unit that has a higher transmission power, or otherwise called a transmitter with a longer transmission distance.
- You may use a high-gain antenna for the transmitter and/or the receiver will absolutely have improved signal transmission and/or reception.
- Situate the antennas at a high location so that they can easily “see” each other.
Keep in mind that in general, the video and audio signals transmitted or received from a wired security camera are much more stable than that of a wireless one.