Known for its ingenious pan, tilt and zoom functions, the PTZ camera can perform many surveillance tasks for you such as: help you observe at a 360-degree angle of the environment, change angles in order to look at objects that are both above and below the camera, and zoom in to view objects in greater detail. PTZ cameras are oftentimes used in surveillance operations wherein viewers can remotely monitor anyone as well as be informed about any event that goes on.
PTZ Cameras - Definition
PTZ simply stands for Pan, Tilt and Zoom. These three terms refer to the capabilities of certain automated security cameras and video recorders. Basically, a PTZ camera is installed in a particular place. Unlike typical security cameras, a PTZ camera has the ability to turn (usually in a complete circle), tilt up or down at different angles, and zoom in on particular objects of interest.
PTZ Cameras – Structure
Because of the fact that the PTZ camera has to be completely movable, it typically has a spherical design. Either the camera itself (the lens and the sensor mechanism) is structured in a spherical shape and held in a way that it can pivot when needed or the camera comes with a more conventional design and is placed inside a protective spherical casing wherein it can pan, tilt, zoom and perform its recording activities through the protective shield.
PTZ Cameras – Features and Recording Capabilities
Depending on the model and brand, PTZ cameras can come with a wide array of extra features and recording capabilities. There are some PTZ cameras that possess high-definition capabilities which let them record extensively detailed images, while there are those that may have only standard definition. The color and grayscale options may also vary according to model and brand. There are actually some PTZ cameras that may have tinted shielding so that people cannot see where it is currently pointed at and it also regulates internal heating or maintenance mechanisms in order to keep it running smoothly as possible.
PTZ Cameras – Uses
PTZ cameras are primarily used for surveillance purposes. They can be purchased by ordinary individuals for the purpose of home surveillance. Typically, PTZ cameras are most commonly used for military, businesses, law enforcement agencies and even the film industry for surveying purposes at public areas.
PTZ Cameras – Advantages
Due to the fact that PTZ cameras can be manipulated or controlled from a distance, the user does not have to be near the PTZ camera itself. Once the PTZ camera is installed, it requires little attention and it is deemed to be generally a low-maintenance surveillance device, except of course, in cases of malfunctions occurring or when it requires cleaning. The PTZ camera’s mobility lets users track or pinpoint on an object as it moves, and follows it as long as it is within the range of the PTZ camera.
How to Choose a PTZ Camera for Your Home
Now that you have a general idea about PTZ cameras, you can easily determine which brand and model of PTZ camera you would like to purchase for your home. Due to the fact that life is quite hard for everyone these days, the crime rate increases; therefore, many people strongly feel the urge to increase the level of security in their homes for the sake of their family’s safety and to safeguard their personal properties and belongings.
When doing research on home security cameras and surveillance systems, many people find that they would want to have a PTZ camera or two incorporated in their security systems. Oftentimes, customers do not have any idea where to find reliable information that they can use in order to make a wise decision when trying to get the best security camera and surveillance system for them.
Below are some guidelines that you can follow if you are trying to find a PTZ camera for your home security system:
- Determine whether you really need to have a PTZ camera incorporated with your security camera and surveillance system set for home use. If you prefer to have a security camera that can pan, tilt and zoom, then getting a PTZ camera is certainly a good idea.
- If you would like to have a hassle-free installation when you buy your PTZ camera, consider getting one that does not show any wires and can transmit signals even through floors, walls and other obstructions. A wireless security system coupled with a PTZ camera might be the best option to suit your needs.
- If in case you want your security camera to stay in only one location at all times, then you could consider getting a wired security system. Some people prefer to have a wired security system because it eliminates glitches related to signal disturbances, which you will sometimes experience if you have a wireless security system installed.
- If in case you would like to have your security camera to continue functioning even if there is no electricity or if you would want to have a security camera with no wires attached from it, then consider getting a battery-operated camera with a PTZ function.
- When you have decided that you like one type of security camera that matches all your needs and wants, read reviews about it in magazines or read consumer testimonials from reliable surveillance websites via the Internet. Most people tend to buy a certain brand especially when it has been recommended by a family and friends.
- If you want to make sure that the brand and model of a PTZ security camera that you would like to buy is really a great piece, take the time to go online and ask questions in forums on the Internet about products related to home security. You will surely find other people who have already used the product that you are currently planning to buy.
- By the time you have made a decision on which model and brand of PTZ security camera you would buy, take the effort to find the best price available in the market. You can either visit the physical stores that sell surveillance products or you can also search on the Internet to find the best price of your desired security camera product. Also, take the time to look at websites such as Amazon or eBay to make your purchase, as those sites typically have great deals on home security cameras. Just ensure that before you buy any surveillance-related product, ask about any warranty that it carries as well as the shipping fees.